3 nutrition habits every triathlete should be doing daily
Aug 11, 2022
The top 3 nutrition habits every triathlete should be doing daily
It's so hard to pick just 3! There are so many things you should be doing to improve performance.
My advice - get the fundamentals sorted first. Instead of chasing shiny objects and doing the 1%ers – here's where we need to be.
My 3 nutrition habits you should be doing every day to help improve your performance as a triathlete:
1. RECOVERY NUTRITION
- 95% of athletes I’ve seen do a crap job of their recovery nutrition.
- If delayed, it doesn’t contain the right building blocks and isn’t doing your training justice.
- We need to master the art of recovery nutrition, not only so we have the energy to get up and go again but to ensure we're not doing long-term damage to our overall growth, our bone health, and our hormones.
2. EAT A VARIETY OF PLANT BASED FOODS
FRESH FRUIT AND VEGGIES, NUTS, SEEDS, LEGUMES
- Food option first – not a pill or potion.
- Only food food can give you the nutrients, micronutrients and fibre you need. It's easy to get caught up in macro’s – protein, CHO, fat – but don’t skimp on micros!
- Need to keep your gut microbes happy (to aid your immune system).
- We need to look at having up to 30 different types of plant based foods each week.
- The more colour the better.
3. LEARN TO PERIODISE YOUR FOOD TO YOUR TRAINING
- Want to be somebody that has energy at the end of the week, can push through long sessions, doesn't bonk or hit the wall, is their ideal body composition or close to it, and is not getting injured and sick all the time?
- You need to learn how to periodise your nutrition to your training - and carbohydrate is the main thing we need to focus on here.
- Scaling up carbohydrate can be challenging if you don't know strategically how to do that.
- And if body fat loss is your goal, or you want to lean up a little bit for a race, we need to be really strategic around what we're doing on those lighter days, so that we can still drive a bit of fat loss without going too hard, but still recover from our training.
If you are interested in learning more about the Triathlon Nutrition Academy Program and what it can do for you, head HERE to join the waitlist for our next opening in September.